|Head of Science
|Deputy Head Teacher – Senior School and Sixth Form
|Line Manager for:
|Science teachers and the laboratory assistant/teaching assistant
Main purpose of the job
- To lead and support staff in the Science Department to ensure that pupils achieve the highest academic standards and make substantial progress.
- To ensure the science curriculum is broad and balanced and differentiated to meet the needs of all
- To ensure highly effective teaching, learning and assessment in the Science
- To regularly review and evaluate the effectiveness of the Science
- To effectively manage the Science Department budget and the resources within the
Duties and responsibilities
Shaping the future
- Establish and implement an ambitious vision and ethos for the Science
- Formulate and write the Science Department Development
- Assist the Headteacher and Deputy Headteacher in further developing a school ethos of positivity, with a
- Lead by example to motivate and work with others in the
- Implement and manage change initiatives
- Write, review and evaluate the Science Development Plan and the Science Self Evaluation
Leading teaching and learning
- Lead teaching and learning in the Science
- Lead the processes involved in monitoring, evaluating and challenging the quality of teaching and learning in the Science Department, including lesson observations, book trawls and assessment data to ensure consistency and quality.
- Ensure educational trips in the Science Department follow the school’s policy on Educational
- Ensure that Health and Safety policies and practices, such as risk assessments are implemented effectively throughout the Science Department.
- Lead person in the Science Department for educational
- Promote cross-curricular and cross-phase activities with different departments in the Senior School and Sixth Form and the Preparatory School.
- Develop and review syllabuses, schemes of work, marking policies, assessment and teaching and learning strategies in the department.
- Produce overviews and analyses of external examinations, internal achievement data and departmental
reviews as part of the school’s self-evaluation cycle.
- Ensure all external exam information is correct and submitted to the Examinations
- Ensure all internal exam information is correct and submitted to the Deputy
- Ensure all pupil data is updated on the school tracking system, and it is accurate and correctly recorded by the teachers.
- Oversee the department’s use of the school’s virtual learning environment, including the setting of
homework, class resources and work set for pupils in the event of a school closure
- Provide, or contribute to, oral and written assessments, reports and references relating to individual students and groups of students.
- Teach in the Science
Developing self and others
- Performance manage staff as required in the Science
- Support the Headteacher in selecting and appointing of teaching and support staff, when
- Be an excellent role model for both staff and pupils in terms of being reflective and demonstrating a desire to improve and learn.
- Arrange mentoring and support for new members of staff in the Science Department, including
- Work with the Deputy Headteacher to ensure that staff development needs are identified, and that appropriate support is given when required.
Leading and managing the Science Department
- Lead and manage staff in the Science
- Be responsible for the day-to-day management of staff within the Science department and act as a positive role model.
- Ensure that staff in the department are given regular curriculum updates, examination and other scientific
- Lead inter-house events for the Science
- Ensure that all official report comments are appropriate, informative and of a high
- Support the Deputy Headteacher in contributing to the development of the school timetable by assigning classes and ensuring that the correct number of lessons are allocated per subject.
- Attend staff, leadership and governors’ meetings as
- Write and submit the Head of Department Mid-Year Report, End of Year Department Report and Two- Weekly Reports
- Ensure all department meeting minutes are recorded and
- Contribute to the school website, weekly, monthly newsletter and the school year-
- Lead the development of effective subject links with other schools, businesses and the
- Manage the effective promotion of the subject at Open Days/Evenings and other
- Order and manage resources for the
- Ensure the science classrooms and the department areas are well-organised, with effective
- Monitor pupils’ attendance together with pupils’ progress and performance, ensuring that follow-up procedures are adhered to, and that appropriate action is taken where necessary.
- Undertake any professional duties, reasonably delegated by the
Kindly email your resume and letter of intent to email@example.com